Beulah Park Medical Clinic
In 1919, Dr R.A. Haste (Reg) began a Medical Practice at his house on the corner of Magill Road and what was then Wellington Road (now Portrush). Reg was a General Practitioner and visiting obstetrician at the Queen Victoria Hospital (QVH).
Dr Hubert Bailey married Anne Haste and lived in Kensington Gardens. Dr Bailey, prior to medicine was a WW2 RAF fighter pilot and was shot down over occupied Europe. He spent time in a German hospital before serving out the war in a POW (prisoner of war) camp. Hubert returned a war hero and decided to study medicine. He studied surgery abroad before joining his father-in-law in general practice in 1956.
Dr Reg Walker graduated in MBBS in 1951. He married June Potter and they went to Bordertown for six and a half years before heading to England by cargo/passenger ship where he was the ships Doctor. Dr Walker studied a physician’s course and returned home in 1961. In 1963 he joined Dr Haste’s Practice.
Dr Haste resigned in 1966 and Dr and Mrs. Bailey moved into the practice house. The main custodians of the premises at that time were Dr Bailey’s rather large ginger cat and ‘Colonel’ the very placid golden Labrador. Colonel would escort each patient from the gate, up the path and in the entrance door to the reception area. Colonel always waited for the patient to enter first and most times could manage to push the door open with his nose to exit!
Around this time the Practice was growing and it was apparent another GP was needed. Dr Haste placed an advertisement in the British Medical Journal in England and Dr Michael Boundy responded. Dr Boundy was disgruntled with the English National Health System and flipped a coin between migrating to Christchurch or Adelaide. Approximately 1 year later Dr Boundy, wife Emma and children Christopher and Kevin arrived on the ‘Fairsea’ to a flotilla of boats and a stream of cars along the foreshore at Outer Harbour.
(The Fairsea holds an important place in the memory of many immigrants to Australia during the post World War II period. She was the first passenger ship of the famous Sitmar Line and the first non-British ship employed to carry assisted immigrants from Britain to Australia - Museum Victoria website GPO Box 666 Melbourne 3001, Victoria, Australia)
Dr Haste and the families were there to greet the Boundy family on a very hot day in November 1965. Dr Boundy, dressed in a English suit, was driven back to the Practice by Dr Haste in an FJ Holden, hurtling out the 'one-way' exit the wrong way! Reg told Michael to hang his head out the window and say 'we don't speak English' of which he promptly did - in Italian!
In 1968 not long after Dr Boundy joined the Practice it was deemed a bigger premises was needed. A house on Magill Road presented and the wives promptly bought it. This was converted to the surgery by an architect and builder that were current patients. The Doctors moved to the current site at 232 Magill Road Beulah Park in 1968.
The practice continued to grow and the partners advertised again for a GP in 1972 where Dr Don Clarkson arrived for an interview in his 'Triumph Spitfire’, a big hit with the locals. Dr Clarkson became the fourth partner in 1973 and continued to practice till 2008. Don was a very active Dr, holding a clinical lecturer poistion at the University of Adelaide, on many boards of the RACGP including the National Chairman of the Medical Education Committee of Council and a Member of the Medical Practitioners Professional Conduct Tribunal.
Dr Clarkson is now the key Medical Educator of student Doctors on placement at MEDICAL HQ and a very active part of the team here today.
Dr Eid joined the practice in 1976 and returned to WA in 1982. His hand writing was apparently so bad he was forced to write in capitals so everyone could understand!
Dr Boundy decided to move on in 1978 to follow his passion for psychological treatment through hypnosis. His very successful business in Medical Hypnosis continued in North Adelaide and other parts of Adelaide till retirement in 2001.
In 1986, Dr Rodney Pearce joined the practice. Dr Pearce is now the key principal who trained in Adelaide and worked at the RAH, QEH and Modbury Hospitals before starting work in General Practice.
Dr Pearce currently holds positions on numerous boards and in 2008 was appointed by the Health Minister the Hon. Nicola Roxon to the External Reference Group to develop Australia’s National Primary Health Care Strategy for the national health reforms.
In 2010 he was reappointed to the Australian Technical Advisory Group on immunization (ATAGI) the group who produce the Australian Immunization Handbook and maintains a keen local and national interest in vaccination programs, often asked to comment on immunization issues.
Dr Pearce was president of the AMA (SA) 1998-2000 and GP Nationally Elected Representative on the Federal AMA and Chair of the AMA Council of General Practice for 3 terms from 2004-2010. He is a fellow of the AMA and received the AMA (SA) Presidents award in 2008.
Dr Pearce was instrumental in Beulah Park and Athelstone Clinics becoming the first in SA to train young doctors in their postgraduate (Intern) years and prevocational years (PGPPP) in the community and continues to be an active supervisor to GP registrars through the regional training program.
On Australia Day 2012 Dr Pearce was admitted to the ORDER OF AUSTRALIA (AM) for service to medicine as a general practitioner, through contributions to national medical organisations, and to education.
The Beulah Park Medical Clinic became MEDICAL HQ on July 1st 2011 and remains an independently owned business.